I.D. Honing of Hydraulic Sleeves for a Heavy Equipment Application
(click on thumbnail to enlarge)
At Midway Grinding Inc., we specialize in providing our customers with high precision, large volume products at competitive prices and with short lead times. The project highlighted here exemplifies these capabilities.
Most high volume applications pose challenges in one form or another; in this project maintaining the quality of the incoming blanks was a critical factor. This family of product is designed for use as a hydraulic sleeve in hydraulic cartridge valves for a heavy equipment application. Composed of 12L14 H.T., the sleeves required horizontal honing and single pass diamond bore finishing. They featured dimensions of .600" in diameter and 2" in length and needed to be produced in lots of 10,000 pieces bi-weekly.
The process begins on our Sunnen ML4000, which provides the roughing operation; this is followed by the finishing on our single pass bore sizing machine. These advanced capabilities allow us to maintain the extremely tight tolerances of ±.0001" overall, and ±.00005" for roundness. In-process testing and inspection is provided by our Federal Air Gaging, Talyrond 365 roundness tester, and Zeiss profilometer.
To learn more about this project, or the process used to manufacture it, see the table below or contact us directly.
I.D. Honing Project Highlights
- Product Name
- Hydraulic Sleeves
- Product Description
- These sleeves are used in hydraulic cartridge valves.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
Single Pass Diamond Bore Finishing
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Sunnen ML4000 for Roughing operation
- Single Pass bore sizing machine for finishing operations
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Approximately .600" diameter x 2.0 in length"
- Tightest Tolerances
- ±.0001 size
- ±.00005 roundness
- Material Used
- 12L14 H.T.
- Material Finish
- Heat Treated
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Federal Air Gaging, Talyrond 365 roundness tester, Zeiss profilometer
- Industry for Use
- Hydraulic, Heavy Equipment
- 100,000 +++ EAU
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 10,000 pc lots in 2 weeks or less
- Standards Met
- Customer supplied print